IBSMA SAM Summit.
Two weeks ago we had the privilege of presenting at the IBSMA 2015 SAM Summit in Chicago. The conference was for SAM (Software Asset Management) personnel:
- Legal for contract negotiation and audit/compliance support
- Procurement for new license acquisition or contract rationalization
- Asset management for asset identification and entitlement tracking and management
Following are some perceptions on the conference and issues in asset management:
Software Asset Management becomes more important as companies become larger
Increased investment in asset management is driven by audits, M&A, lawsuits and organizations with shared services or centralized IT management
The industries most interested in SAM are Finance, Government, Healthcare/ Pharmaceuticals
Asset Management is not viewed as a strategic management issue, even by IT
Yearly audits by multiple large software firms are forcing companies to proactively “arm” themselves and SAM is required to be prepared
Well implemented SAM processes and real-time data let end user organizations put the onus on software suppliers to prove non-compliance
There is no “one stop” SAM solution – organizations implement multiple solutions to solve specific needs
Companies pursue SAM based on tactical issues, not holistically
Big difficulties with compliance management
- Contract terms keep changing without corresponding vendor supplied management tools to manage or verify compliance
- Vendors create new contract terms to existing licenses without auditing or reviewing existing implementations – ensuring non-compliance or confusion over terms
- Vendors change contract terms via on-line updates to click-through agreements, so compliance and procurement managers aren’t aware of changes
- Server based licenses are difficult to manage and tie back to business value
- SaaS application management is a growing problem
- Compliance managers are becoming concerned about their ability to monitor Software as a Service (SAAS) usage relative to commitments
Let us know your thoughts on these topics – we’d love your feedback.
In the meantime, CLICK THE METER BELOW to view our Cetrus: At-A-Glance to learn more about Software Asset Management!!